You may not imagine living life without electricity. But, as we know, things disrupt the flow of electricity. In the not too distant past, electrical outlets and light bulbs did not exist. Today, “the world ends” when the power fails. Our televisions, computers, lights, etc. depend on electricity.
Electricians are the ones who keep us going, but what do electricians do? Sure, you remember electricians when your power goes off, but what do electricians do between crises? There are many tasks that an electrician does daily. Tasks that are not glamorous, but are necessary tasks. In 2012, 61 percent of electricians worked for electrical contractors. The remaining 39 percent concentrated on wiring installation. The average salary for an electrician is $56,000. There is a variety of work that an electrician can do.
Electricians are used by airports, communication companies, construction companies, and trucking companies. They diagnose systems that are not functioning properly and use hand and power tools to repair them. They install and repair wiring, fixtures, and equipment using specialized testing tools and procedures. Electricians inspect ongoing or completed construction jobs to make sure the jobs follow relevant codes.
A major responsibility of an electrician is connecting wires to transformers and/or other places where there is live, potentially dangerous electricity. Electricians plan electrical wiring for equipment and fixtures based on demand, including job specifications and/or local codes. Electricians can test the continuity of electrical systems and their wiring. Voltmeters, oscilloscopes, and ohmmeters are tools the electrician uses to ensure safety.
A typical day for an electrician can include testing electrical equipment, installing electrical components, repairing electrical equipment, and installing these systems and components. Two-thirds of electricians say they talk on the phone every day about their job, while only one-fourth of them say they have to use email every day. Half of the electricians surveyed claimed that working as a team is important. Six out of 10 say they have to meet daily deadlines while half of the electricians surveyed say they have to make decisions every day in their job.
In addition, electricians can work hard physically. They may dig ditches for conduit and/or move or lift heavy objects. However, the outlook for electricians is continued job growth. Electricians, especially unionized ones, usually have 40-hour workweeks. So now you know what electricians do. Contact your nearest IEC training center to get started in the electrical field!
Electrical Exam Prep Recommended Resources
How to Become a Master Electrician
Electrician Salary per Hour Breakdown
Electrical License Requirements
Electrical License Test - What to Expect
Highest Paying Apprenticeships
Basic Electrical Training - What You Will Learn in Your First Year as an Apprentice
Can You Become an Electrician without an Apprenticeship?
Electrical Safety Tips - How to Avoid Being Fried
Top Electrician Books for Wannabe Electricians
Necessary Electrical Tools for Apprentices
College for Electricians - Better than a Paid Apprenticeship?
Electrician Qualifications - What Does It Take to Become an Electrician?
Residential Electrical Apprenticeship - What You Need to Know to Work on Home Electrical Systems
Master Electrician Salary by Region
How Long Does It Take to Become an Electrician
Top Five States for Electricians
Adult Electrical Apprenticeships - How Old is Too Old?
The Seven Best Apps for Electricians
Electrician Classes - What Can You Learn in an IEC Classroom?
What are you waiting for? Start building a rewarding career in the electrical field today!Get started now